2734 W State St.
Milwaukee, WI 53208-3548
From candidate Website
Marquette University Law School 2009
• J.D. Wisconsin State Bar Number 1073955
• Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.31
St. John’s University, Collegeville MN. 2005
• Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science.
• Completed Spring Semester 2004 at University of Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
Edgewood High School, Madison WI 2001
Assistant State Public Defender, Office of the State Public Defender January 2010 – Present
• Staff Attorney in the Milwaukee Trial Office. Responsible for all areas of legal representation of indigent defendants in Milwaukee County. Experience representing individuals accused with all levels of criminal conduct, including homicide, general felonies, misdemeanors, and traffic offenses. Conducted several jury trials, motion hearings, preliminary hearings, and all other areas of legal representation in criminal proceedings. Also researched, wrote, and argued several legal and constitutional challenges. Member of the Milwaukee County Drug Treatment Court team, Domestic Violence practice group, and Raise the Bar practice group.
Adjunct Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School Fall 2009-Present
• Joint instructor of the Milwaukee Street Law program. Responsible for instruction of second and third-year law students. Other responsibilities include coordinating participating high schools and over 100 participating high school students. High School students are taught a practical legal education by law students. The program ends in a city-wide Mock Trial Competition held at the Milwaukee County Courthouse.
Legal Clinic Intern, Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office Fall 2008 – Present
• Member of the 2008 – 2009 Marquette Law School Prosecutor’s Clinic. Responsible for over 325 hours of work in the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office. Participated in all stages of the criminal process from charging conferences and drafting a criminal complaint to appearances in misdemeanor and felony courts, including participating in one court trial and two jury trials.
Law Clerk for the United States Senate, Washington D.C. Summer 2008
• Law Clerk for Senator Herb Kohl. Responsible for research and writing on issues facing the Senate Judiciary Committee, including Antitrust, Consumer Protection, Juvenile Justice, and Criminal Law.
Legal Intern, Milwaukee County Circuit Court Spring 2007
• Legal intern in the chamber of the Honorable Judge Jeffrey Wagner. Conducted legal research and writing in response to motions filed with the court. Observed over 120 hours of Felony Court proceedings.
Swim Coach and Lifeguard, Maple Bluff Country Club, Madison WI May 2001 – 2007
• Held coach responsibility for 80 swimmers ages five and older. Supervised swim practices and competitions. Organized and supervised team building projects and activities. Swim instructor for all levels of swim instruction, including first level swimmers, primary safety and rescue training.
Edgewood High School, Madison WI August 2005 – March 2006
• Swim coach for both the Men’s and Women’s Varsity Swim Teams.
Badger Aquatics Club, Madison WI August 2005 – March 2006
• Swim coach for USA Swimming Team.
EXTRACURRICULAR / SERVICE EXPERIENCE
• Future Milwaukee, Marquette University College of Professional Studies 2011 – 2012
• Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association – Volunteer Committee Member 2011
• United Way of Greater Milwaukee – Volunteer Committee Member Spring 2010 – 2012
• Matilda Ward Youth Empowerment Association – Vice-President and Treasurer 2009 – Present
• Street Law Teaching Program – Tenor High School / Marquette Law 2007-2008
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee – Volunteer Mentor Spring 2008 – 2012
• Tenor High School Mentor Program – Volunteer Mentor 2008 – 2009
• Legal Volunteer – Pro Se clinic and Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee 2006-2007
• Intern in the office of Governor James Doyle Summer 2005
• Men’s Spirituality Group – St. John’s University 2001-2005
• St. Cloud Area Special Olympics – Swim Coach Volunteer 2005
• Pendla Elementary School Service Project– Port Elizabeth South Africa Spring 2004
• Dean’s List – Fall 2008, Spring 2004, Fall 2004
• CALI® Award Winner – Law and Politics Course – Fall 2007
• Eagle Scout – Boy Scouts of America – Spring, 2001
• Mount Kilimanjaro Summit Climb – Tanzania, Africa - June 2004
• St. Rose of Lima/St. Michael Catholic Church, Milwaukee
• Historic Concordia Neighborhood Association
• American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Chapter
• Vision Forward Association (Badger Association of the Blind and Visually Impaired)
• State Bar of Wisconsin
• Milwaukee Bar Association
• Democratic Party of Wisconsin and of Milwaukee County
• Wisconsin Association of Railroad Passengers
• Milwaukee Press Club
• Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters